Friday, July 6, 2007

Kau ingat kau sorang je yang tahu menengking orang?

It all started with a single toot of my car horn. Which is a normal thing anyone would do if one would like to get some kind of attention. In my case, it was the attention of any person in charge of the drive-thru booth at the Immigration Post.

Today was a good day. I didn't go to school but instead, I went to the next middle school, attending the SMM Data Verification meeting with Cy. I managed to finish updating all the data in my school's system before exporting it on to a diskette and passing it up to the officers conducting the course.

After lunch, I thought I would have to stick around waiting for Cy to finish his part of the data entry thing in the next room. But it turns out, Cy wanted to drive all the way back to town during the Friday lunch break. I didn't know why, but he said he'd have 45 minutes to relax in the comforts of his own home before returning to the workshop. What great news. I get to go home because I am done with my part of the work. Actually, the workshop was concentrated on primary schools, not secondary schools. Secondary school report directly to the JPG. We need not join the primary schools in doing this. Now where did the mix-up in the letters happen? I came to a thing that did not include me.

Anyway, at home I just changed and thought about what am I gonna do with this house that I am getting all to myself for half an hour. Now, I can dance around in the nude. But I don't think that would be wise. I turned on the TV. Then C and Z came home and then left again to go to the bank. I made C drive my car. Why take a taxi? She can drive. She just not too confident driving manual. Then a friend called and I spent the next half and hour talking to him on the phone.

I was upstairs in my room, whne C and Z came home in a rush and screamed and yelled for me to come downstairs in a lickidy-split. All I heard was...

"Kak, come down now, and wear something sexy."

I thought to myself... What the f*ck? Wear something sexy? What's gotten into these girls? So I just came down in my homewear, as I call it.

They looked at me with eyes blinking.

"What did you guys say just now? Wear something sexy?"

"No, I said, let's all go to KFC."

"Oh...."

I turned to get back upstairs and change.

"Kak, that is NOT sexy" said C.

Hahahahaha....

Anyway, we went to KFC. Saw Henry and Kindy and some other teachers there. Yes, his name is in fact, Kindy. I know, I know. I know what it means.

Then we went washing machine shopping. We have our eyes on a 6kg capacity Panasonic. Why? S is finally moving out. We found out later from Mi that Linda is moving out. That's why she is packing up her things and told me oh-so-matter-of-factly on the way upstairs that she is moving out, into the next house. Well, it is about time. Because I do feel sorry for having to use her washing machine while we are not very fond of her. :)

Key word, 'have to'. If we don't use it, she will feel we are deserting her. If we use it we'd feel guilty. Buying a new one would be great. But then if we decide to uninstall her washing machine and install the new one earlier on, she might have to wash her laundry by hand and feel like we are really really pushing her out of the house. So, yes, we have to use it. It's sort of like catching up on the favors of years past. Or something like that.

But now we can finally get our own washing machine. And C can have her room and not be scared sleeping downstairs all alone that she has to sleep in my room every night. Problem solved.

Oh the brilliance of it all.

Then we went ti Sipitang. Picked up Mi on the way there.

And honked my car horn at the Immagration Check Point because the booth was empty.

And the dude who looked like he just had a bottle of Whisky came into the booth and I handed him the travel documents to be stamped. But he didn't stamp them. Instead, he looked at me with his blurry eyed face, that made him look drunk, and asked me,

"Nak cepat sangat ke?"

I was talking to my friends in the car, but Z made me turn to him and since I did not hear him, I asked him,

"What?"

"Nak cepat sangat ke?" he repeated himself.

I said, "Takde, awak kan tak ada dalam booth ni, memang la saya bunyikan hon."

Then he said something else. But then I was sick and tired of the antics of these stupid fucking idiots already. This is not the first time I am receiving this kind of abuse from the officers at this particular Immigration Check Point.

So all I said was,

"Saya tak ada apa- apa pun perasaan negatif kepada awak atau mana-mana pegawai imigresen di check point ni, tapi kenapa you all terus-terusan target saya dan nak bermusuhan dengan saya?"

I was nice. Gasp!

And guess what he said after that?

"Kau ingat kau Tuhan ke?"

I thought, What the fuck? What the hell does that have to do with anything in the conversation?

So I said,

"I am tired of this kind of treatment and I don't want to gaduh-gaduh dengan sesiapa, saya nak jumpa pegawai atasan awak."

What did he do? He threw the pen he was holding hard against the desk and leaned back in hi chair, and said,

"OK, jom jumpa boss saya," dengan segala keangkuhan yang he could muster at the time.

I parked my car and went with him up the stairs. The big boss was out, so he took me to another room and there was Erlina, the Immigration officer in charge of liaisons who came to our school a few months earlier, discussing the issues with staff from our school, including me.

And the buffoon said, "Ha, settlekan la dengan boss saya." Dengan suara yang macam g*mp*ng.

I knew I was being too polite for a real-live idiot to understand that my politeness is due to courtesy with a fellow government servant. I am by no means a timid and meek housewife.

So I turned to him, and in complete view of all his peers and superior, I said in my real original booming voice that everyone in the education department in my town is familiar with. All I said,

"Oh yes, I will definitely settle this matter with your boss now. What do you want? Go do your job. you're supposed to be stamping documents in the booth, remember?"

But he looked at me with his toad-like eyes and refused to budge.

"What are you waiting for? I will settle this with your boss. Pergilah, apa kau sibuk? Bye!"

I must have shocked him because he stood there being the stupid asshole that he is looking at me.

I waved at him and said... " Bye.... bye.... bye bye...." until he realized that he was so stupid for hanging around and finally left.

I talked things out with Erlina. She was understanding of the situation I was in because she was also aware what had happened in the past. I admitted that it might have been rude to honk my horn to get someone to work the booth, but at the same time, it did not give him the right to be verbally abusive to me.

So Erlina said that she would look into the matter. She even suggested that since everyone is aware that I am being targeted by some of the officers for the crimes that I have admitted of doing and apologized for and would like to move forward and away from, I could ask my friend to get out of the car to endorse our travel documents at the counter.

While that was a nice thing to say, I thought to myself, "what the fuck? it's supposed to be a drive-thru, ma'am and if they can't handle the pressures of working the counter, they should leave the job and look for a new one.

Tapi, siapa suruh kau tak sekolah rajin-rajin and become a lawyer or a doctor or an interior designer instead of being this low-class officer who works at the counter?

You can say anything you want, but I am earning, and will always earn more that you ever will be in that position you are holding in the government tier. You are so very stupid and immature. That job suits you best. Don't quit your day job. Oh..... That is your day job. You poor thing.

Then Erlina got our documents stamped and we were on our way again. I thought I saw Erlina giving the bastard a talking to in the booth as I was leaving. That was unnecessary, because I know I could have handled the situation better.

Now, do I write to Berita Harian or TV3 about this? Both?

No comments: