Thursday, November 13, 2008

cuti-cuti

This entry is for me. Don't waste your time reading it. In fact, don't waste your time stopping by here at all.

Sebelum raya, on the way to KK to the airport, after the bridge in front of that school, I fell asleep. A month without caffeine had proven to be very bad for me. Puasa, no coffee at all. I only take coffee in the morning and none after 2pm for fear of not being able to sleep. A while after uni, caffeine has a stronger effect than it used to be. During uni, I had so much of it, it didn't work anymore.

Anyway, I kept falling asleep on the way home from school. Several times. It got so bad sometimes that I had to ask my friend to drive half-way.

That day, I fell asleep all the way. In the middle of the day. I only woke up after my chin touched my chest. And just when I heard my friend next to me gasp and turn the steering wheel to the other side. I was startled, still drowsy, I have no idea where to turn the wheel, so I just turned it, overcompensating. The car was already driving into the ditch on the left side of the road. When I over compensated, it turned to the other side and wanted to go into the ditch on the other side. I I turned the wheel again and again it's going into the ditch on the left side of the road again. In the panic, I totally lost count of how many times I turned the wheel. But after the three times that I could remember, I managed to get the wheel straight, and while the car still fish tails its way on the road, I braced my arms and hoped that the car would stabilize. And I didn't even think about pushing the breaks. All the while, my only thoughts were getting into the ditch is not an option, because I have a 4.25 pm flight to catch in KK and I wanted to see my family for Eid.

I also remember seeing the awe in the face of this uncle on his old motorcyle, moving towards me, he slowed down of course, seeing this crazy silver car swerving here and there like a bat out of hell. Looking into the rearview mirror, I could see the red pick up which had been maintaining speed not too far behind me, slowing to a crawl.

I wonder what they had seen. It must have been a funny sight. It must have been like seeing a car with a drunk driver being beaten by a jealous girlfriend or something.

It was funny, now that it was alsmost two months past. There was Z and TSE with me. I asked them how I felt, they told me they didn't feel anything. I guess it happened in such a short while, that the brain did not have a chance to register it and respond.

As long as we were safe, I don't really car about how I felt that time.

A good weekend last week. We had fun.

Nov 3
Letter to attend Stress Management course in Kuching. Only one available to go. Text him.

Nov 4
Still trying to find someone else to go.

Nov 5
Failed. Went to Kuching. He picked us up at the airport. I was already in the car with him when Wilson texted me. I am so thoughtless. He offered to turn around and pick em all up. I said ok, he did. Dropped us off at the hotel.

Was supposed to go out later in the evening. But ice-breaking took all night. Cancelled.

Nov 6
He flew to Miri. Supposed to go to LWY later and wait for me there. But decided to forgo LWY and just go to KK and wait for me there because he really does hae business to attend to. Relatives to see, things to order.

Nov 7
Course over. Took a 12.35pm flight back to Miri. 4.35pm connecting to LWY. Got there 5.55pm. Took a taxi home, unpacked, repacked, showered, dressed. Drove to KK. Still kept the 2.5 hour record. He texted, saw the new Bond movie. Thought to myself, why couldn't he have waited? Takpe, I will see it alone tonight, I'll catch the midnight show.

Arrived at my hotel, checked in. Showered. Called him. He was asleep. But he answered. I guess he really was expecting my call. Went out for dinner. Surprised I checked into my hotel instead of calling him first. Like I was supposed to ask him to pay for my hotel room. He should, but I was not in the mood to ask.

Too early to sleep. Got tickets to see the Bond movie. Waited for it to stat at 11.30, went to Anjung Senja. Had a durian. It was lousy. Went to see the new Bond movie. With him. Padan muka dia. Good thing he loves Bond movies. Dropped him off at his hotel. Went back to mine. Went to bed.

Nov 8
Woke up early. At 4, at 5, at 6. Can't go back to sleep anymore by then. Got up, showered, prayed, made up, blow dried my hair. He said he wanted to spend the whole day on the road going somewhere with me. He called at 7. He'd be ready in 20 minutes. He text me again later saying he is waiting in the lobby. I finished dressing up, packed up and checked out. Was there in 10 minutes.

Drove to Kudat. Went to The Tip of Borneo again, for the second time. We took some pictures. Drove back to KK. Went to the airport to sort out some ticket issues. Went to the ac service shop. Booked rooms at a hotel while waiting. Checked into our hotel. Went out again for dinner. Seafood galore. Went to Tanjung Aru. Stayed out late. Came back pooped and full. Went to bed.

Nov 9
Drove back to LWY after breakfast and jalan-jalan at the Sunday market at Gaya Street. Went to look for some turtle eggs. I got some cakes from Secret Recipe for Mimi and the girls. Stopped at Beringgis for some more seafood. Drove to LWY. Went straight to the airport. He got himself on an earlier flight out to Miri. Waited with him at the cafe. He said why don't you come along to Miri with me, give me your ic. That would be nice, I said. But I do have to show up for work tomorrow even if there is no more lesson to be taught. It's ok. Keep the map. We'll go next time I come over. OK. His flight left at 3.45pm.

Aku tak tahu what to make of it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I do drop by your page checking up on updates. Jgn halau la...ek? Bestnyer jalan-jalan...

Narcissca Ariadne Alvarez said...

Oh honeybun...
That was not meant for you. That's for the nasty people. You are not one least bit nasty.